Sunday, January 13, 2008

How to Get Power of Attorney for a Military Deployment


Before you deploy, get a military power of attorney for your spouse or the person taking care of your financial matters at home. It won’t cost you a thing, and it will alleviate stress for you and your family after you deploy.


Difficulty: Moderately Easy

Things You'll Need

  • Military power of attorney



Step One

Designate a person, usually a spouse or a family member, who will take care of your financial and personal matters while you are deployed.

Step Two

Determine the length of time a power of attorney will be necessary. Depending on the deployment schedule, this is usually 6 months to a year.

Step Three

Locate a local U.S. Armed Forces Legal Assistance office. You are not required to pay and you can use their services if you are active duty, retired active duty or a dependant of either.

Step Four

Consult with a legal assistance attorney to create a military power of attorney.

Step Five

Specify the actions you want included in a special power of attorney. If you choose a general power of attorney, you will give total control of your finances and personal matters to the person you designate.

Step Six

Sign the power of attorney before you deploy! Even the simplest of tasks, like shutting off utilities, will be impossible without that signed piece of paper.

Tips & Warnings

  • You can use a civilian lawyer to get a power of attorney, but if your power of attorney will be used in a different state, it is best to have a military power of attorney. Although anyone can personally refuse to accept them, military power of attorneys will be accepted in any state, no matter where they were drafted.
  • If you choose a general power of attorney, be sure you trust the person you designate. They will have complete authority over all of your financial matters.

No comments: